The holidays are right around the corner and the sugary sweets are staring you in the face. Perhaps your sweet tooth is already craving the pumpkin pie and sweet rolls that will soon be on your table. Not to mention the upcoming neighborhood cookie exchange, the boxes of chocolate from clients at work, and taste testing the newest goodies at your favorite grocery store. And that’s just the sugar you know about. Don’t forget about all the hidden sugar in just about everything else.
According to research from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the average American consumes more than 150 pounds of sugar a year; this includes added or refined sugars like high fructose corn syrup, glucose and other sweeteners.
Here are some tips to help you (and your sweet tooth) manage your sugar intake this holiday season:
- Moderation – don’t bother denying yourself what you want. It won’t work. Instead, choose your favorite sweet food, indulge in a modest portion and really savor the taste and texture.
- Snack – yes, that’s right. Eat a healthy snack before attending a party or dinner during the holidays. This will keep you from overeating, especially the sweet stuff, when you get there.
- Fiber – choose fresh fruits and veggies with dip versus the sweeter options. Not only are they lower in calories, but the fiber they contain slows digestion, which helps keep you feeling full. Additionally, foods that contain fiber often take longer to chew, giving you time to realize that you are satisfied on a smaller portion.
- Alcohol Choices – If you drink alcohol, make smart choices. Pick lower calorie mixers instead of heavy beers. Limit alcohol to one drink for women and two drinks for men.
- Hydrate – drink plenty of water during the holidays and winter months. It’s easy to mistake hunger for thirst, so keep water available and make sure to sip it throughout the day.
- Skinny D – packed with vitamins, minerals, amino acids and fiber, Skinny D is a meal replacement drink designed to curb your sugar cravings. Each serving of Skinny D offers 18 grams of fiber! Lose weight and outsmart your sweet tooth with Skinny D this holiday season.