When your joints are stiff and the discomfort unbearable, you might think your arthritis has gotten the better of you. You may feel that your only salvation is painkillers and anti-inflammatory medications. While these medications may be necessary, there are some natural arthritis solutions you can try as well. Be sure to inform your healthcare professional before making any major changes to your care routine.
- Hot and Cold Therapy – Long, warm showers or baths can help ease joint stiffness, especially in the morning. If the discomfort intensifies at night, try a heating pad to loosen joints. Cold therapy (ice packs or even a bag of frozen vegetables wrapped in a towel) can also help alleviate some of the discomfort.
- Massage – According to the Arthritis Foundation, regularly massaging arthritic joints can help reduce discomfort and stiffness as well as improve your range of motion.
- Lose Weight – Losing just a little bit of weight can have a big impact on the amount of discomfort you experience. Extra weight puts more pressure and stress on your joints.
- Exercise – It can be hard to think about exercising when you’re suffering, but regular movement can help maintain flexibility in your joints. Avoid weight-bearing exercise like running, and choose low-impact options like water aerobics or yoga.
- Diet – Eating the right foods can help as well. There are some foods with anti-inflammatory properties that can ease joint discomfort. Fatty fish high in omega-3 fatty acids and turmeric, a spice common in curries have been shown to reduce inflammation.
Leave a Reply