There is some food to make you sleepy and adding these to your diet may help you fall asleep more quickly and get a great night’s rest.
- Oatmeal – The grains in oatmeal trigger insulin production. They raise your blood pressure naturally and make you feel sleepy. Oats are also rich in melatonin, which has been shown to relax the body and help you fall asleep.
- Almonds – Try a handful of almonds right before bed and you’ll drift off to sleep in no time. Almonds contain tryptophan and magnesium, which both help naturally reduce muscle and nerve function, while also maintaining a steady heart rhythm.
- Honey – Honey contains glucose, which tells your brain to shut off orexin – the chemical which triggers alertness. BUT – too much can have the opposite effect. Just one tablespoon before bed is plenty. Try adding it to a soothing cup of tea.
- Cherries – In order to get a good night’s sleep, you need to increase your melatonin. Cherries are a natural source of melatonin and when consumed regularly, can help regulate your sleep cycle.
- Hummus – Hummus is an excellent source of tryptophan. If you often wake up at night hungry, trying snacking on hummus during the day.
- Bananas – Bananas are rich in magnesium and potassium, which serve as muscle and nerve relaxers. Plus, the vitamin B6 found in bananas also converts tryptophan into serotonin, increasing relaxation even more.
Leave a Reply