We get it. It’s cold and snowy and you want to curl up on the couch and hibernate. But exercise is so important and it doesn’t have to be a chore. By mixing up your workout calendar and maintaining a positive attitude, you’ll be beating the winter slump in no time. Check out these five fun ways to burn extra calories and say goodbye to boredom all winter long.
- Train for a fun run – What could make working out more fun than running with all the bells and whistles? Signing up for a themed 5K walk or run is a motivating option to get you in the winter exercise spirit. These races spice up the regular racing routine by encouraging runners to dress in a festive costume. They are also usually attached to a charity, so your small race fee or money raised goes to a good cause!
- Try an extreme winter sport – We use “extreme” liberally here. There are a lot of great workout options only available in the snowy, winter months. Do you love ice-skating? If you don’t live near a frozen pond or lake, try an indoor rink. You don’t need to invest in expensive equipment either. There are many places that will rent for a reasonable rate. Rent a pair of snowshoes and give that a try – you’ll really work up a sweat while enjoying the great outdoors. Even just taking a walk through the snow is more work than the road and you might just see some wildlife.
- Get creative at home - Getting to the gym can be more difficult when it’s cold outside, but don’t let that be an excuse to turn into a couch potato! A great alternative is working out at home, where’s it’s cozy and warm. Whether you pop in an exercise DVD, buy an exercise app or invest in a few free weights, staying at home can be a convenient and fun way to stay in shape. You can even get together with a friend. And remember, the key is to be creative. Walking up and down your stairs for twenty minutes is a great workout!
- Find a workout buddy – It is so much more motivating to workout with a friend. For one thing, you are less likely to cancel if you know someone else is counting on you. For another thing, it takes the chore out of working out and makes it a social event. You’ll probably even end up working out longer than you anticipated because you’re having so much fun!
- Bundle up and embrace the cold – If you find that you’re not getting the exercise you need, you might just need to throw on some layers and grin and bear it. Layers are key. You’ll start out cold, but will get warmer as you go, so dress in layers that you can easily remove as you get warm. Try and go out when the sun is shining so you get a healthy dose of vitamin D as well!