When you’re stressed out, sometimes you need to take a few minutes and calm down. Here are five simple relaxation techniques you can do just about anywhere.
- Find a Pressure Point.Using your thumb, apply pressure to the spot where your wrist and palm form a crease right in line with the base of the pinkie. Hold or gently massage for two minutes.
- Take an Eight-Count Breath. Breathe in as you (silently) count to eight, hold your breath for a heartbeat or two, then slowly exhale as you count to eight. Repeat. This super simple exercise is incredibly powerful and can help you improve your memory and manage stress.
- Brew a Cup of Tea.There’s nothing better than getting cozy with a calm cup of tea. Green tea has an amino acid called theanine, which sends your brain into a state of relaxed alertness that allows you to get a deeper sleep and respond to stress more calmly. Experts also tout the calming properties of passionflower, valerian root, and Siberian ginseng.
- Visualize Your Happy Place – Try visualising a peaceful scene away from your current tensions. It could be a golden sandy beach with the azure waves lapping at your toes or a calming bath with scented oils. The idea is to take your mind off the currentworries and transport yourself andyour mood to somewhere relaxing and calm. The more detail you imagine the calmer you’ll get.
- Go Outside – If you are feeling frazzled at work or at home, one quick way to relax is to head outdoors. You get a fresh perspective on the problem and breathe in fresh air. Twenty minutes outside doing just about anything can be really helpful.
Leave a Reply