An annual global event, Bone and Joint Action Week is held October 12-20 with activities focused on disorders including arthritis, back pain, osteoporosis and trauma. The events and projects organized by individuals and organizations worldwide are designed to raise awareness of prevention, disease management and treatments as well as advances in a number of areas.
Here are the facts:
- More than half of Americans over the age of 18 are affected by musculoskeletal (bone and joint) conditions, according to The Burden of Musculoskeletal Conditions in the United States.
- One in three (33%) people over the age of 18 required medical care for a musculoskeletal condition in each of the years 2009 to 2011, a 19% increase over the last decade.
- Bone and joint conditions are the most common cause of severe long-term pain andphysical disability worldwide affecting hundreds of millions of people.
- Musculoskeletal conditions include back pain, arthritis, traumatic injuries, osteoporosis, spinal deformity, and childhood conditions.
- The global prevalence of musculoskeletal conditions is predicted to increase greatlydue to increasing life expectancy and changes in risk factors unless new treatments and preventive measures are found.
- Musculoskeletal conditions can lead to significant disability plus diminished productivity and quality of life. Treatment and lost wagecosts associated with musculoskeletal diseases in the U.S. alone was estimated at $874 billion in 2009 to 2011 – equal to 5.73 percent of gross domestic product (GDP).
- Research funding is currently less than 2 percent of the National Institutes of Healthannual budget, and continues to decline each year despite the high costs associated with injuries, arthritis, and back pain.
Join us in recognizing Bone and Joint Action Week. If you suffer from osteoporosis or are at risk, now is the time to take action. Start by getting a bone-density scan to determine your bone health. A healthy diet, exercise and proper supplementation are crucial. Commit to living a bone-healthy lifestyle today.