Calcium is important for optimal bone health throughout your life. Your body needs calcium to build and maintain strong bones. Your heart, muscles and nerves also need calcium to function properly. Many Americans don’t get enough calcium in their diets. Children and adolescent girls are at particular risk, as well as adults age 50 and older. Try incorporating these calcium rich foods in your diet:
1. Milk: Milk is the best source of calcium, not only for children but also for adults. Moreover, the calcium is in a form that can be easily digested and absorbed by your body.
2. Yogurt: High in protein and containing healthy bacteria for your gut, yogurt is said to offer 400 mg of calcium in a single serving. Choose non-fattening flavored yogurt for a satisfying and healthy snack.
3. Leafy greens: Many vegetables, especially the leafy green variety, are rich sources of calcium. Opt for spinach, turnip, kale, romaine lettuce, celery, broccoli, cabbage, and asparagus or toss all of them into a salad.
4. Beans: For another rich source of calcium, try kidney beans, white beans or baked beans.
5. Herbs and spices: Herbs like basil, thyme, cinnamon, mint and spices like garlic not only enhance the flavor of your food but also provide calcium to your body.
6. Oranges: Citrus fruits like oranges are rich in calcium and also contain vitamin D that is essential to absorb the calcium in the body. No time for peeling and eating an orange? Cut one in half and squeeze out the juice!