Finally, it feels like winter may be loosening its grip. There are little signs of spring on the horizon. With the change of seasons often comes a desire for reorganizing your home, refreshing your wardrobe, and reexamining your skincare routine. After a long winter, your skin is thirsty for fresh air and sunshine. But it’s also the beginning of sunburn season. Follow these steps to refresh your skin routine for spring:
- Moisturize – The warm weather not only makes you thirsty, but your skin as well. Moisturizing is key. If your skin is hydrated and healthy, it can better defend itself against sun damage and heat.
- Exfoliate – Exfoliating also helps with dry skin. If you’re looking for that spring glow, you have to rid your skin of any flakes and dry spots. You can make your own natural scrub at home by adding a little sugar to a cup of whole milk. Rub it gently on your face, and the sugar will slough off dead skin while the milk regenerates and moisturizes.
- Apply Daily SPF – Warm weather and sunshine mean it’s time to get serious about SPF. Look for a daily facial moisturizer that contains a minimum SPF of 30 and a body lotion with an SPF of at least 15 that you can apply first thing in the morning to keep you protected. Don’t forget your lips, too! Look for a lip balm with an SPF of 20 or more.
- Define Your Brows – If you’ve gone all winter letting yourself look and feel a bit like a hairy wildebeest, now is the time to address those untamed brows. If you get your brows waxed, make an appointment. If you’re more likely to do it yourself, be sure to tweeze right after a shower, so the hair follicles are soft. Consider using cuticle scissors to trim longer hairs.
- Create Luscious Lips – Be sure to apply lip balm often and exfoliate your lips on a regular basis. One of the best natural looks for spring is a shimmery pale lip, so make sure your lips are flake-free and feeling their softest.
- Waterproof Your Lashes – This spring, look for a great waterproof mascara. With the heat and humidity, your mascara is more likely to run. You want to prevent the running and allow yourself the flexibility to splash some cool water on your face or jump in the pool at a moment’s notice without having to fear the streak!
- Drink Plenty of Water – Don’t forget to drink as much water as possible as the weather gets warmer. It is hands-down the most important part of your skincare routine.