Chronic inflammation is the silent killer linked to osteoporosis, arthritis, obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and even cancer. If you want to combat the effects of chronic inflammation, these are the foods you should most definitely avoid:
1. Sugar – Sugar is EVERYWHERE from processed foods, desserts and snacks right down to condiments. Too much sugar alerts the body to send out extra immunity messengers, called cytokines, which then results in inflammation.
2. Trans Fats – Trans fats are in fried foods, fast foods, commercially baked goods and items prepared with partially hydrogenated oil, margarine and vegetable oil. Trans fats induce inflammation by damaging the cells in the lining of blood vessels, according to the Mayo Clinic.
3. Omega 6 Fatty Acids – According to U.S. News, the average American gets far more omega-6 fatty acids in their diets than omega-3s, but this imbalance can lead to inflammation.
4. Refined Grains – Refined grains have no fiber and a high glycemic index. They are everywhere: white rice, white flour, white bread, pasta, and pastries. Refined grains break down quickly into sugar, and in turn lead to inflammation.
5. Red Meat – Red meat contains a molecule that humans don’t naturally produce called Neu5GC. Studies have shown that once you ingest this compound, your body develops antibodies that could trigger an immune response resulting in inflammation and tissue damage.