Who has time to pack a delicious healthy lunch each day? Well, with a little thought and practice, you can. Packing lunch has many advantages – it’s definitely cheaper, usually healthier and has endless possibilities. Here are five healthy lunches to go to get you started:
- Whole Grain Pita Pockets – They’re fun, easy to hold and you can fill them with just about anything. Try light cream cheese with fresh fruit, almond butter with honey or our favorite, cut up fresh veggies with hummus.
- Smoothies – This is an easy, super healthy make-ahead lunch. You can make it the night before or in the morning. Just toss your favorite smoothie ingredients in the blender, throw it in a thermos or mason jar and go! You can even add Skinny D to your smoothie to help you lose weight.
- Salad – This sounds complicated, but it’s really not. Start on Sunday by buying fresh lettuce, carrots, cucumbers and peppers. Wash and chop everything and toss it in a big bowl. This is the base of your salad and will keep for several days without spoiling. Each morning or evening, put one serving in a container and add different ingredients to taste – chickpeas, feta cheese and olives will make it Greek. Hard-boiled egg, ham and cheddar will make it Cobb. The possibilities are endless and since you already have the base, it saves bunches of time.
- Yogurt Granola Parfait – Mason jars are all the rage and they are perfect for creating a yogurt granola parfait. Start with your favorite low-fat, high protein yogurt in the bottom. Add a low-sugar granola to the middle and put fresh fruit on top. It’s easy, healthy and delicious and you can make it the night before!
- Bento Snack Box – Are you the type of person that would rather snack throughout the day, than sit down to a big lunch? Get yourself a Bento box and put small portions of your favorite healthy snacks in each compartment. Snack as you go, without worrying about eating too much. Almonds, trail mix, fruit, crackers, low-fat cheese and yogurt are all good choices. A healthy combination of whole grains, protein and fruits and veggies is best.