Everyone is forgetful now and then. Try boosting your memory with these 6 foods:
- Cabbage – This is a good source of folic acid (vitamin B9) and is known to help memory problems as it protects the brain.
- Eggs – Eggs are rich in vitamins B6 and B12. Deficiency in these two essential nutrients has been linked to a more rapid decline of memory.
- Broccoli – A Harvard study of 13,000 women suggests these cruciferous veggies can protect your memory as those who ate relatively high amounts had less age-related decline in memory. Cruciferous vegetables and leafy green vegetables — including spinach — had the biggest effect on helping women retain their memory during the course of the study.
- Strawberries – They are an excellent source of anthocyanin – an antioxidant that has been shown to reverse memory loss in animal studies. Very high in folic acid and vitamin B6, they help keep blood cells and neurons healthy and prevent plaque buildup in arteries, allowing a steady flow of blood to your brain.
- Coffee and Tea – Researchers from the University of Innsbruck in Austria found that caffeine improved performance on a memory task. Caffeine is found in coffee, tea and chocolate.
- Salmon – Salmon is very high in omega-3 fatty acids, which can help maintain a sharp mind. If you eat fish at least once a week studies suggest you may have a 10 percent slower decline compared with those who did not eat fish. One study found that their fish-eating participants had the memory and thinking ability of a person three years younger than their actual age.