Research suggests that a high fiber diet may help you prevent weight gain and even encourage weight loss. It’s also a heart-healthy way to start your day, plus it keeps your digestive system running smoothly. Try these delicious high fiber cold weather breakfast ideas and kick-start your day:
- Fruit and Nutty Oatmeal. Make your favorite oatmeal with water or low-fat milk. Then top it with a tablespoon of dried fruits and unsalted chopped nuts. The best high-fiber dried fruits are apricots, dates, plums, and raisins. Making oatmeal with low-fat milk results in a creamy, flavorful taste. Want even more fiber? Add flax seeds for some extra crunch.
- Chunky Monkey English Muffin. Top a whole wheat English muffin with a tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter. Add sliced banana and even some raisins and you’ll be brought back to your childhood days.
- Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes or Waffles. Substitute whole-wheat flour in your favorite pancake or waffle batter, then toss in fresh or frozen blueberries. Top it with more blueberries for a warm and yummy breakfast everyone will love. Crunched for time? Make a large batch on the weekend and store the leftovers in the freezer. When you want them, just pop them into the toaster for a few minutes.
- Veggie Scrambled Eggs, Whole Grain Toast, and Tomato Juice. Scramble an egg or egg white, and toss in a handful of spinach leaves, peppers, mushrooms, or even leftover broccoli from dinner last night to make a healthy scramble. Toast whole grain bread, an English muffin, or a bagel and wash it all down with a glass of tomato juice for a fast and easy fiber-rich meal.
- Breakfast Bean Burrito. Scramble one egg or egg whites and toss in ¼ cup black beans. Place the mixture in the center of a warmed 5″ whole grain tortilla. Top with a tablespoon of salsa and wrap it up for a high-fiber breakfast that you can eat on the go.