Instead of reaching for that afternoon coffee or a handful of M&M’s, energize with these healthy snacks. They’ll provide a quick pick-me-up, without the caffeine slump a few hours later.
1. Apple or Banana with Peanut Butter – You don’t even need to keep a whole jar in your desk anymore. There are single serving containers of peanut butter just perfect for snacking. Grab an apple or banana and you’re good to go. The protein in the peanut butter combined with the fiber (apple) and potassium (banana) packs a powerful energy punch!
2. Hard Boiled Egg – Sunday night, make a batch of hard boiled eggs. Keep them in the fridge for the week and you’ve got a perfect energizing snack. They’re loaded with protein as well as the vitamins needed for the body to produce energy such as thiamin, riboflavin, folate, B12, and B6.
3. Almonds – If you’re feeling sluggish, you might be deficient in magnesium, a mineral that helps produce energy. Almonds to the rescue! They’re loaded with magnesium. Plus their high fiber and protein content contributes to replenishing your energy stores. Keep single serving size bags in your car, your purse, your desk, or your briefcase and when you’re feeling tired, they will offer the perfect solution.
4. Whole Grain Pita and Hummus – A combination of complex carbohydrates such as whole grains and beans is one of the best natural energy solutions out there. It will fill you up without making you sluggish. Hummus is a spread made from chickpeas which contribute fiber, and a little olive oil, both of which have been known to satiate hunger pangs.
5. Yogurt – A single portion of yogurt is probably one of the quickest, easiest energy boosting snacks to keep on hand. Yogurt contains lactose, a milk sugar which is used for energy. If you choose a Greek variety, you’ll also get a healthy dose of protein, which helps slow down the absorption of the lactose, making the energy last even longer. Plus the probiotics in yogurt are great for your gut health and immune system.