Krill are tiny shrimp-like animals with an abundance of healthy omega-3 fatty acids necessary for proper cellular function. Here are six reasons you should be taking Krill Oil.
- It’s Easier to Absorb – The omega-3 fatty acids in krill oil are stored as phospholipids, which have a simpler digestive process than other forms of fatty acids. Studies have found that your body can absorb the fatty acids in krill oil more easily than it can those from fish oil or plants.
- Powerful Antioxidant – Krill oil contains a very potent antioxidant called astaxanthin. Antioxidants protect your cells from damaging free radicals. “Free radicals” is a term used to describe damaged cells that can be problematic. Typically, antioxidants can fight only one at a time, but evidence suggests that astaxanthin may be able to take on multiple free radicals at the same time.
- Boosts Heart Health – Triglycerides are a type of fat in your blood. Elevated levels are linked to an increased risk of heart disease, and high triglycerides are also one of the signs of metabolic syndrome.Krill oil contains fatty acids that can help reduce cholesterol and triglycerides. Recent research published in Nutrition Research revealed that krill oil supplementation may lower triglyceride levels in adults with borderline high or high triglycerides by more than 10 percent. Another seven-week study of 113 volunteers found that the heart benefits of krill oil were similar to those of fatty fish.
- Lessen PMS Symptoms – A study by Canadian researchers found that krill oil may be able to help women manage the emotional symptoms of premenstrual syndrome and painful periods. Some subjects were given krill oil for three menstrual cycles, while others were given fish oil. The women taking krill oil reported needing fewer painkillers than those who took fish oil.
- Reduce Arthritis Pain – Research suggests that krill oil can reduce the painful inflammation associated with arthritis. A study in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition found that krill oil reduced arthritis pain and stiffness within one to two weeks.
- Boost Brain Power – It is well known that low levels of omega-3s can cause cognitive decline, or a loss of memory and thinking skills. Krill oil may be the answer to boosting your brainpower. A study of rats published in Lipids in Health and Disease found that those given krill oil supplements performed better on cognitive skill tests. They also found that krill oil produced effects similar to those of antidepressants.