You likely get a lunch break each day. In today’s fast paced world, many of us don’t actually use that break. We have deadlines looming, or we want to get home earlier, so we just push through and don’t take the break we deserve and our bodies desperately need. But we all need to pause and take that time for ourselves. It’s a good idea to use some of that time for nourishment, but there are other healthy things you can and should be doing on your lunch break.
- Go for a Walk – Taking a break to move more throughout the day can improve your state of mind, your heart health and help to prevent weight gain from sitting all day. Grab a group of colleagues and get out to enjoy the fresh air.
- Take a Siesta – A lunch break power nap can recharge your body and mind – providing you with the necessary energy to get through the second half of the day. 10-20 minutes is all you need. Find a quiet spot, set the alarm on your smart phone and close your eyes.
- Take a Class – Whether it’s a fitness class, knitting class or reading group, if you can find a 30-minute class in an area of interest, it can really boost your spirits and energy and rejuvenate the rest of your workday.
- Meditate – If you can’t break away from the office, you can still meditate at your desk and reap the benefits of being mindful. Focus on a mantra or object and try to clear your mind completely. The ancient practice of meditation has been shown to calm nerves and improve focus.
- Reconnect – Your lunch break is the perfect opportunity to connect with friends. Take your phone outside, find a bench and call someone you’ve been meaning to get back in touch with, a family member or even a nearby friend who’s been on your mind. Reaching out and reconnecting is good for both of you.
- Volunteer – Many employers encourage volunteerism and your lunch break is the perfect opportunity. You will feel good doing something to help others and there’s an obvious benefit to the recipient. Look for something in an area of your expertise or interest and you will find sharing your knowledge incredibly rewarding.