Whey protein is the fraction of whey, which is a liquid that separates from milk during cheese production. It is a complete, high-quality protein that contains all of the essential amino acids. It is highly digestible, absorbed quickly in comparison to other types of protein. Whey protein is one of the best dietary sources of protein available. :
- Promotes Muscle Growth – muscle mass naturally declines as we age, increasing our risk of several chronic diseases. With a combination of strength training and dietary changes, you can slow down and possibly even reverse this process. Studies have shown that the consumption of high-protein foods, including whey protein, is an effective strategy. In fact, when compared to other types of protein, whey protein is better at preventing age-related muscle loss.
- May Lower High Blood Pressure – One of the biggest risk factors for developing heart disease is having high blood pressure. Studies have shown that dairy consumption can be helpful in reducing high blood pressure thanks to a group of peptides called ACE-inhibitors. In whey proteins, the ACE-inhibitors are referred to as lactokinins and studies have shown them to be beneficial in lowering blood pressure.
- Can Treat Type 2 Diabetes – Studies have shown that whey protein can help moderate blood sugar by increasing insulin levels. Insulin stimulates blood sugar into cells, keeping it within healthy limits. In comparison to other protein sources, such as egg white or fish, whey protein performs better. In those with and without diabetes, taking whey protein before or after a high-carb meal has been shown to moderate blood sugar levels.
- Reduces Chronic Inflammation – Inflammation is your body’s response to damage, and can be beneficial when it’s short-lived. However, chronic inflammation poses serious health risks. A large review of several studies found that high doses of whey protein significantly reduced C-reactive protein (CRP), a key marker inflammation within the body.
- Maintains Healthy Weight – Protein is very filling, which is why you are encouraged to include it with every meal if you are trying to maintain a healthy weight or even lose weight. You are less likely to feel hungry shortly after eating if your meal includes a protein source. When compared to other types of protein such as casein and soy, whey protein is more satiating, meaning it keeps you feeling fuller longer. Whey protein may help you lose weight by:
- Suppressing your appetite, leading to reduced caloric intake
- Boosting your metabolism so you burn more calories
- Maintaining muscle mass as you lose weight