Fall weather is upon us and there’s no better way to boost your immunity, than with some delicious soup. It’s well known that chicken soup can improve immunity and shorten the common cold. But, there are other ingredients you can add to your fall and winter soups that will increase your immunity as well.
Chicken soup contains vitamins A and C, magnesium, phosphorus, gelatin and antioxidants, which are known to build a strong immune system and fight off viruses. The protein from chicken provides amino acids that are used to build antibodies to fight infection. And, the carbohydrates in noodles or rice provide easy-to-digest energy that keeps you feeling satisfied so you can get better more quickly. If you’re looking for more options, try these immune boosting soup ingredients:
- Cabbage – This crunchy vegetable is valued in China, and actually horded for the winter by many Chinese, particularly for its glutamine (an antioxidant). It goes well with green beans, carrots, and green bell peppers–all high in vitamin C and A.
- Garlic – The ancient Greeks and Romans used garlic for its health supporting benefits. As early as the 1800s there was scientific evidence that bacteria did not survive when they came in contact with garlic. Recent research confirms that garlic can strengthen the immune system and kill illness causing viruses and bacteria.
- Turmeric – Turmeric is one of the foods with the highest antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, is anti-viral and anti-fungal. Inflammation is the cause of many chronic diseases that lead to illness, so turmeric is your anti-inflammatory superhero! Mixing turmeric with black pepper increases your body’s absorption significantly.
- Fermented Foods – If you want to significantly boost your immune system, adding fermented foods like sauerkraut and kimchi is important. Fermented foods contain healthy, friendly bacteria (probiotics) that help to balance your gut flora — this is where 70% of your immune system lives. Keeping your gut in working order is essential to good health, and fermented foods are powerful.
- Barley – Barley is loaded with beta-glucan, a special fiber that can give your immune system an extra boost. Nearly every immune cell in your body has special receptors designed to grab onto beta-glucan, kicking up the activity of white blood cells that gobble up bacteria and viruses.