Holiday stress can zap you of your energy, leaving you feeling sluggish. Before you reach for that third or fourth cup of coffee, try eating one of these energy-boosting foods:
- Almonds – almonds are a rock star snack when your energy levels are low. They are full of nutrients like magnesium and B vitamins that help convert food to energy. Research suggests that people with low magnesium levels tend to tire more quickly because of its role in energy metabolism.
- Bananas – Bananas are nature’s pre-packaged and portable boost of energy. They’re filled with fiber, B vitamins and potassium – all nutrients that promote sustained energy. Looking for that perfect energy boosting combination of fiber and protein? Pair your banana with glass of low-fat milk or cup of yogurt.
- Kale – it may not be your favorite, but if you replace your iceberg lettuce with kale, you’ll get a huge energy boost that you otherwise wouldn’t from your salad. You can also throw into your favorite soup and pasta recipes. Kale contains antioxidants and fiber, plus the amino acid L-tyrosine, which gives you a mental boost.
- Oatmeal – this should be your go-to breakfast if you have a busy day ahead of you. With its high fiber content, oatmeal will power you through the entire morning. It also helps stabilize blood sugar levels, which will leave you feeling energized and focused without the need for another cup of coffee.
- Hummus – hummus is a Mediterranean dip made from chickpeas, sesame-based tahini, olive oil and lemon juice and it’s an energy powerhouse. The fiber and protein from the beans help stabilize blood sugar, ward off hunger pangs and boost your energy naturally. Use it as a dip for veggies or even use it as a replacement for mayonnaise.